Want to try something different this festive season? This Christmas turkey pizza recipe is a spin on the classic combo of roast turkey and cranberry sauce. We especially love this recipe as it's got three different types of cheese on it too – well, it is Christmas after all. It's also a good way of using up seasonal leftovers that you might have kicking around once the big day is over and you find your fridge is filled with even more Tupperware than usual.
Cooking outside remains one of our favourite things to do, especially over the holiday season when it's all about family time. With one of the best pizza ovens you can make artisan-style wood-fired pizza in minutes. Keep reading to find out how to make this delicious seasonal recipe, which makes four 12 inch pizzas.
- With thanks to the team at Ooni for sharing this delicious recipe with us
ROAST TURKEY, CAMEMBERT AND CRANBERRY PIZZA
Ingredients for the classic pizza dough:
- 380ml cold water
- 4 tsp salt
- 20g fresh yeast (or 9g active dried yeast or 7g instant dried yeast)
- 600g '00' flour, plus extra for dusting
Ingredients for the roast turkey, camembert and cranberry topping:
- 240g roast turkey, cut into strips
- 240g camembert, cut into strips
- 240g mozzarella, torn into pieces
- 16 tbsp cranberry sauce
- Handful fresh thyme leaves
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Prepare your pizza dough ahead of time. Place two-thirds of the water in a large bowl. In a saucepan or microwave, bring the remaining water to the boil, then add it to the cold water in the bowl. This creates the correct temperature for activating yeast. Whisk the salt and yeast into the warm water.
2. Put the flour in a large bowl and pour in the yeast mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until a dough starts to form. Continue mixing by hand until the pizza dough comes together in a ball. Turn it onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, until it is firm and stretchy. Return the dough to the bowl. Cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for about 2 hours or until doubled in size.
3. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Place each piece of dough in a separate bowl or tray, cover with cling film and leave to rise for another 30-60 minutes, or until doubled in size.
4. Place each ball of dough on a lightly floured surface, flour your hands and use your fingertips to press the dough into a small, flat disc. Working from the centre, push the dough outwards while spreading your fingers, making the disc slightly bigger. Pick up the pizza dough and gently pinch it around the edge, allowing gravity to pull it downwards into a 12-inch circle. Take care when doing this as you don’t want it to tear. Repeat this process with the remaining dough.
5. Once the pizza dough is fully stretched, lightly flour your pizza peel (a tool for sliding pizzas in to the oven) and lay the base on it. If at this point you see any small holes in the dough, gently pinch them back together.
6. Preheat you pizza oven at 932°F (500°C). You can use a special thermometer to accurately check the temperature inside the oven.
7. Using a small amount of flour, dust your pizza peel. Stretch the pizza dough ball out to 12" and lay it out on your pizza peel. Using a large spoon or ladle, spread three tablespoons of the cranberry sauce evenly across the pizza dough base. Top with the camembert, turkey and mozzarella.
8. Slide the pizza off the peel and into your pizza oven, making sure to rotate the pizza regularly.
9. Once cooked, remove the pizza from the oven. While the pizza is still warm, spoon over little dollops of the remaining cranberry sauce, sprinkle over the thyme leaves and parmesan, and season to taste with the pepper. Then repeat three more times!
Feeling inspired to be more creative with your pizza oven? Head over to our best pizza oven recipes for more delicious ideas.
Our top-rated pizza ovens
Love the idea of a cooking pizzas alfresco this festive season? Check out our top pizza ovens below for info on where to buy them at today's best prices.