Take the festivities out into the garden with this tasty Christmas turkey burger recipe. It's a new take on a burger that combines all our favourite festive flavours and will be the star of the show when it comes to getting out in the garden this holiday season for some winter grilling on the best barbecue. A mix of turkey, chestnuts and tangy cranberry shot through with a hint of sage, this cooks in minutes and is set to become a firm seasonal favourite for many Christmases to come.
It's a healthier version of the burger too as turkey mince is very lean compared to beef. This is a good thing as you also have the option of loading this one up with another star combo of scrumptious bacon and brie for the most tempting of toppings. We should also mention that the cranberries are pre-soaked in brandy too – well it is Christmas after all.
Read on to find out how to make this easy Christmas turkey burger (which serves 6 people) and don't miss our other best bbq recipes for more alfresco cooking inspiration too.
- With thanks to George Foreman for sharing this recipe
TURKEY BURGER WITH CHESTNUT AND CRANBERRY
- 800g turkey mince
- 1 bunch sage, chopped
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- 100g cranberries, soaked in brandy
- 130g chestnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 crusty white burger buns
- 12 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 12 slices Brie
- lettuce leaves
- cranberry sauce
1. Add all the burger ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Divide the mix into 6 equal amounts and mould into burger shapes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
2. To cook, pre-heat your barbecue or grill. First, grill the bacon rashers for 4-6 minutes. Then place the burgers on the grill and cook for 8-12 minutes until the juices run clear. Add two brie slices to each burger immediately after they come off the grill to allow the cheese to melt. Return the bacon to the grill for a further 1 minute then divide it between the burgers.
3. Build up the burgers by first laying down the bottom half of the crusty burger buns. Add some mayonnaise and cranberry sauce. Top with lettuce then the burgers. Put some more mayonnaise and cranberry sauce on the burger lids and place on top of the burgers. Push gently so everything gets pressed together then get stuck in!
The best BBQs
Need something to cook this delicious recipe on? Check out our top BBQs at their best prices below. Whether you prefer gas or charcoal, there's one to suit.
Our best-rated BBQs at their best prices:
Our best-rated gas BBQs at their best prices:
Cheap charcoal BBQs:
Sarah Wilson has been a lifestyle journalist for many years, writing about gardens since 2015. She's written for Gardeningetc.com, Livingetc, Homes & Gardens, as well as Country Homes & Interiors and Modern Gardens magazines.
Her own (small urban) garden is a work in progress - so many ideas, not enough space to cram them in. Hero plants include her ever growing collection of ornamental grasses, black bamboo and ferns, and the perennials like salvias and penstemons that come back reliably year after year. All very restrained though when in fact she'd love to pack her garden with gaudy dahlias and giant cannas, so these are top of her wish list for what to grow next.
Types of cosmos: 15 beautiful varieties to grow
Plants Our guide to the best types of cosmos for flower power, wildlife, and cut flowers
By Hazel Sillver • Published
Vegetables to plant in February: 10 crops to sow and grow
Grow Your Own Follow our guide to the best vegetables to plant in February, so you are set for success with tomatoes, carrots, chillies, cucumbers and more
By Janey Goulding • Published