You can't beat an autumn recipe that's a combo of apples and caramel. It's just so right. Comfort food at its best, barbecued apple skewers are the perfect sweet treat for now as apples are in season and it's time for warming spices like cinnamon. Drizzled with salted caramel sauce and topped with chopped pecans, it's autumn in a spoonful. This recipe takes just minutes to grill on the BBQ too.
It's a great way to use up an apple glut if you're lucky enough to have one or instead use apples from the local market. We used super sweet Jazz apples which hold their shape well on the BBQ too. The salted caramel sauce can be made ahead and reheated when you need it. If there's any left over it's great poured over ice cream.
This makes such a great dessert as the final flourish for some alfresco cooking. After all, the best barbecues aren't just for summer outdoor living! Read on to find out how to make them.
- With thanks to Jazz Apples for sharing this recipe with us
BBQ CINNAMON APPLES WITH SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE AND PECANS
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 100ml double cream
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 apples, cored and cut into 8 wedges (we used Jazz apples)
- squeeze of lemon juice
- sprinkle of brown sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- handful of pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 4 scoops of ice cream, to serve
1. To make the sauce simply melt the butter with the muscovado sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes. Take off the heat and add the cream, stirring well. Leave to cool and add a pinch of salt.
2. Prepare the apples and place in a bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice, the brown sugar and the cinnamon.
3. Make sure they are well coated and then thread them onto skewers
4. Cook on the BBQ until golden, turning once.
5. Drizzle over the salted caramel sauce then sprinkle on some chopped pecan nuts. Serve with scoop of vanilla ice cream.