You can't beat an autumn recipe that's a combo of apples and caramel. It's just so right. Comfort food at its best, barbecued apple skewers are the perfect sweet treat for now as apples are in season and it's time for warming spices like cinnamon. Drizzled with salted caramel sauce and topped with chopped pecans, it's autumn in a spoonful. This recipe takes just minutes to grill on the BBQ too.
It's a great way to use up an apple glut if you're lucky enough to have one or instead use apples from the local market. We used super sweet Jazz apples which hold their shape well on the BBQ too. The salted caramel sauce can be made ahead and reheated when you need it. If there's any left over it's great poured over ice cream.
This makes such a great dessert as the final flourish for some alfresco cooking. After all, the best barbecues aren't just for summer outdoor living! Read on to find out how to make them.
- With thanks to Jazz Apples (opens in new tab) for sharing this recipe with us
BBQ CINNAMON APPLES WITH SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE AND PECANS
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 100ml double cream
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 apples, cored and cut into 8 wedges (we used Jazz apples)
- squeeze of lemon juice
- sprinkle of brown sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- handful of pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 4 scoops of ice cream, to serve
1. To make the sauce simply melt the butter with the muscovado sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes. Take off the heat and add the cream, stirring well. Leave to cool and add a pinch of salt.
2. Prepare the apples and place in a bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice, the brown sugar and the cinnamon.
3. Make sure they are well coated and then thread them onto skewers
4. Cook on the BBQ until golden, turning once.
5. Drizzle over the salted caramel sauce then sprinkle on some chopped pecan nuts. Serve with scoop of vanilla ice cream.
More recipe ideas:
Lifestyle journalist Sarah Wilson has been writing about gardens since 2015. She's written for Gardeningetc.com, Livingetc, Homes & Gardens, Easy Gardens and Modern Gardens magazines. Having studied introductory garden and landscape design, she is currently putting the skills learned to good use in her own space where the dream is establishing a cutting garden.
Vegetables to plant in December: 12 crops to sow and grow this month
Grow Your Own Try the best vegetables to plant in December, including super-hot chillies, elephant garlic, purple asparagus and sea kale
By Janey Goulding • Published
Winterizing mums: follow our expert advice to protect these fall favorites
Plants Find out about winterizing mums to give your plants the best chance of survival when the cold weather arrives
By Sarah Wilson • Published