The best BBQ chicken recipes are the ones that you'll love to come back to time and again, and we think this original take on a chicken kebab will become a firm favourite as soon as you've tried it.
Packed with flavour and easy to make, these Brazilian-inspired Cachaca chicken kebabs are the perfect dish to serve up for alfresco get togethers in the sunshine. And with the warm weather set to make a welcome return, it's the ideal time to try out this tasty dish.
It takes around 10 minutes to prep the kebabs, although it's then best to marinade them overnight for maximum flavour so bear this in mind if you're going to cook them this weekend. With a cooking time of just 10 minutes, you'll be tucking into them before you know it.
- Thanks to the expert chefs at the Weber Grill Academy for this recipe – check out more of their inspirational barbecue recipes
BBQ chicken kebabs
- 20g fresh mint leaves
- 250ml lime juice
- Zest of 1 lime
- 125ml Brazilian Cachaça
- 60ml olive oil
- 1tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 long red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1kg chicken breast
- Extra mint leaves to garnish
How to make
In the kitchen:
1. Finely chop ½ the mint and place in a mixing bowl. Add the lime juice, zest, Cachaça, chillies, sugar, oil, cayenne, salt and pepper and mix well.
2. Pour 1⁄3 of the marinade into a small sauce pan and reduce by half to make a syrup. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, cut the chicken in to 3cm chunks and stir well into the remaining marinade.
4. Cover with cling film and refrigerate overnight for the flavours to infuse.
On the barbecue:
1. Prepare your barbecue for grilling (direct method) and allow to pre-heat to a medium heat.
2. Thread the chicken pieces onto skewers, alternating with mint leaves and cook for 8 minutes, turning once after around 4 minutes. Once cooked through (75ºC), baste with the reduced Cachaça syrup.
3. Serve with a fresh herb salad.
More outdoor cooking ideas:
For the past 18 years, Beth has worked for and contributed to a number of leading magazines in the UK, including Real Homes, Ideal Home, Period Living, Grand Designs and Good Homes amongst others. Now the editor of Gardeningetc.com, Beth's attention is firmly outdoors. Her own garden is a really important part of her family's home, and she loves spending time tending to the veg patch or entertaining friends and family at a summer BBQ or alfresco pizza night.
Take part in the RSPB’s Big Garden Birdwatch 2023 to save our feathered friends
Gardens Watching garden visitors for just one hour in the Big Garden Birdwatch 2023 could help provide vital data to protect birds from the effects of climate change
By Jayne Dowle Published
Do you need to chit potatoes? Find out what the experts say
Grow Your Own Learn how to chit potatoes before planting them in the ground and you’ll be on your way to getting an earlier and bigger harvest
By Drew Swainston Published