By Beth Murton
The best BBQ chicken recipes are the ones that you'll love to come back to time and again, and we think this original take on a chicken kebab will become a firm favourite as soon as you've tried it.
Packed with flavour and easy to make, these Brazilian-inspired Cachaca chicken kebabs are the perfect dish to serve up for alfresco get togethers in the sunshine. And with the warm weather set to make a welcome return, it's the ideal time to try out this tasty dish.
It takes around 10 minutes to prep the kebabs, although it's then best to marinade them overnight for maximum flavour so bear this in mind if you're going to cook them this weekend. With a cooking time of just 10 minutes, you'll be tucking into them before you know it.
- Thanks to the expert chefs at the Weber Grill Academy for this recipe – check out more of their inspirational barbecue recipes
BBQ chicken kebabs
- 20g fresh mint leaves
- 250ml lime juice
- Zest of 1 lime
- 125ml Brazilian Cachaça
- 60ml olive oil
- 1tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 long red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1kg chicken breast
- Extra mint leaves to garnish
How to make
In the kitchen:
1. Finely chop ½ the mint and place in a mixing bowl. Add the lime juice, zest, Cachaça, chillies, sugar, oil, cayenne, salt and pepper and mix well.
2. Pour 1⁄3 of the marinade into a small sauce pan and reduce by half to make a syrup. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, cut the chicken in to 3cm chunks and stir well into the remaining marinade.
4. Cover with cling film and refrigerate overnight for the flavours to infuse.
On the barbecue:
1. Prepare your barbecue for grilling (direct method) and allow to pre-heat to a medium heat.
2. Thread the chicken pieces onto skewers, alternating with mint leaves and cook for 8 minutes, turning once after around 4 minutes. Once cooked through (75ºC), baste with the reduced Cachaça syrup.
3. Serve with a fresh herb salad.
More outdoor cooking ideas:
Want to keep foxes away from your garden? You need this expert tip
Gardens The one thing you need to know about deterring foxes from your backyard
By Anna Cottrell •
Garden decor with stones: 12 beautiful ideas for walls, floors, flowerbeds and more
Ideas We've got plenty of looks for your outdoor makeover when it comes to garden decor with stones – from painted pebbles to magical mosaics
By Holly Crossley •